Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Exterior Vents (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280158)

CamaroSkooter 01-24-2013 09:09 AM

Every Stingray will have the vents, regardless of options.

They are primarily for aerodynamic function to reduce turbulence under the vehicle and provide downforce.

However, if you have an automatic transmission and/or the Z51 Performance Package, the vents will also function to direct airflow over the additional heat exchangers.

;)

FenwickHockey65 01-24-2013 09:10 AM

I'm sure the vents will drain themselves.

CamaroSkooter 01-24-2013 09:11 AM

Self-aware vents?! :bolt:

Camaro_Corvette 01-24-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 3949)
I'm sure the vents will drain themselves.

I know they will drain out somehow. I just hope they are not as bad as the C6 tail lights after you dry it. Come back ten minutes later with a water streak:mad:

FenwickHockey65 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 3983)
I know they will drain out somehow. I just hope they are not as bad as the C6 tail lights after you dry it. Come back ten minutes later with a water streak:mad:

I'm so glad GM's moving away from stuck-on side moldings specifically because I'm tired of having to wipe off water streaks from them.

Stingray 10-10-2013 12:14 PM

I think I found the answer... straight from GM's Engineering Dept. addressing both Z51 and base models:
Aerodynamics:
 Notice: The base Corvette Stingray has a three piece lower front air dam. The Z51 option only uses the two outer pieces and does not use the center section.

With race-proven aerodynamics, every square inch of the 2014 Corvette Stingray exterior is designed for performance and improved high-speed stability. All five air vents are highly functional and contribute to cooling or reduced lift.

All models have a new grille/radiator arrangement and hood vents. Venting air out of the hood reduces total front-end lift for improved steering response at high speeds. The front fender side coves also help vent underhood air pressure to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential (ELSD) cooler.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets.

The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability.

GreenC7Z-51 10-12-2013 06:42 AM

Here's the scoop! The base model has fake vents, the Z51 has trans. cooler on driver side, diff. Cooler on passenger side, the vert. has NO vents on top they are under the car.

Water is not a problem when washing, but when drying the car there are so many places that hold small amounts of water you have to blow it out with pressure air. The mirrors hold water as on the C5 blow them out or it will run down the door. The vents, , wiper arms, gas cap, tail lights, front grill, door opening pocket, and around the rear deck lid also need to be dried in this way.
(Or just let it dry for several hours sitting in the sun.)

I hope this helps!

GreenC7Z-51 10-12-2013 06:45 AM

Sorry I forgot about the vent for the trans on the auto, I don't do auto trans.