Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Over The Hill Gang , Old Farts with Young Cars (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51820)

69supersport396 01-01-2017 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year gang!

We spent a rainy evening in Disneyland. It was fun, but cold. Been a very long time since I had to layer.

Trickskier 01-06-2017 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Friday Everyone! :happy0180: Going to be COLD in Jacksonville this weekend --- BRRRRRRRRR!!!

Attachment 843026

69supersport396 01-06-2017 01:13 PM

Happy Friday everyone!

Auction drivers meeting today. It's almost that time of year again! Cars, cars, cars! :clap2:

Trickskier 01-06-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69supersport396 (Post 9491008)
Happy Friday everyone!

Auction drivers meeting today. It's almost that time of year again! Cars, cars, cars! :clap2:

Have FUN Rick! I'll be watching. Going to the Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach, FL in April.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic is the temp here yesterday when I left home. I drove to work in a hard snow but no problems. Car sat in the parking lot in these temps & snowing for about 5 hours. When I left roads were ice covered. I was just creeping along. Got to the end of the first road decelerated to maybe 2-4 MPH just off the gas before gently braking. Heard an awful crunching noise & started sliding. No ABS as I was going too slowly. It felt more like the brakes were frozen than just tires sliding on ice so I released & gently reapplied the brakes a few times & finally stopped. I gently pumped the brakes a few times to test them on a dry part of the road & they were fine. No further issues on the way home. I daily drove my Camaro the first couple years & in snow/ice many times without problems. Never felt or heard the sensation of this event. Is it likely that the brakes were frozen?

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 11:51 AM

The ABS works even at 2mph... the thing that makes it strange, ABS doesn't know how to feather the brakes, it only knows "full on" and "full off" and does it very quickly. When you're going slow on ice it feels like the brakes are malfunctioning.

Having said that, yes your front brakes could possibly have been locked up, but then you wouldn't be able to steer. If it's FWD, the backs could be frozen but the car would be tail happy, like a dog about to get a treat.

I would venture a guess, the only thing that changed from your past experiences, this time it was so slick you could hardly stand up on it. When it's super cold you can get a slight amount of grip on ice, when it's close to 32deg or the sun is out, and there's a bit of water on top of the ice, that's when things get crazy slick.

edit: I re-read your post, you may have had a brake or two that was frozen in the open position, or ice in-between the pad and rotor, and when you braked it cracked up the ice.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 12:59 PM

Kind of what i was thinking. Sending you a PM. Read.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 04:05 PM

I know a secret!

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492621)
Kind of what i was thinking. Sending you a PM. Read.

:w00t:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492914)
I know a secret!

:smoking:

Regarding ice on brakes, semi's still use drum brakes and when the parking brake is set it locks all five axles, not just one or two. If a driver was running in rain then stops and sets his wet brakes for the night the pads freeze to the drums. Occasionally in the winter you'll see long skid marks where the trailer axles were locked but the driver didn't realize it and drove away :sm0:

A couple weeks ago in Kansas a driver blew four of his trailer tires, pulled them till they popped!

When they're frozen and you pull forward till they break free it makes a pretty good bang, may have been what you experienced.

RubyCamaro 01-07-2017 08:12 PM

Fest bound!!!! Can't wait. How many Ol' Farts going?

arod55 01-07-2017 09:22 PM

Not this one, to far to drive from San Diego.

Mr Twisty 01-07-2017 10:05 PM

I'll know in July .....

Trickskier 01-08-2017 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9493309)
Fest bound!!!! Can't wait. How many Ol' Farts going?

I'm going to try to make it......:biggrin:

Trickskier 01-08-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9492330)
Pic is the temp here yesterday when I left home. I drove to work in a hard snow but no problems. Car sat in the parking lot in these temps & snowing for about 5 hours. When I left roads were ice covered. I was just creeping along. Got to the end of the first road decelerated to maybe 2-4 MPH just off the gas before gently braking. Heard an awful crunching noise & started sliding. No ABS as I was going too slowly. It felt more like the brakes were frozen than just tires sliding on ice so I released & gently reapplied the brakes a few times & finally stopped. I gently pumped the brakes a few times to test them on a dry part of the road & they were fine. No further issues on the way home. I daily drove my Camaro the first couple years & in snow/ice many times without problems. Never felt or heard the sensation of this event. Is it likely that the brakes were frozen?

That's scary!!! Glad you made it home safe!

zandron263 01-08-2017 01:29 PM

I had to drive home in a little weather myself last Thursday. We had a lake effect storm hit during the evening rush hour. Snow was falling at 3-4" an hour. I know to stay off the main roads during heavy snow so I took back roads as much as i could. Took me about double my normal commute time which was way better than most who were stuck in traffic for 4-6 hours. I would say we got about 18-24" during the event.

Our winter beater Escape died over Christmas it needs about $1000 in brake work so we decided to sell it to someone my wife knows for $500 and we leased her a new Equinox in Siren Red Tintcoat. She told me the AWD worked well in the snow. Not sure about the fest I will think about it and decide later about going.

RubyCamaro 01-09-2017 06:59 AM

Back to the grind after partial snow days & weekend. 1 hour late today. Getting spoiled.

ragzl1 01-09-2017 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rick ---- Barrett Jackson +++++

Jan ---- That was your anti/lock brakes on glare ice. They stop and release the breaks 20 times a second. It makes the most awful sound. Will not be able to get to the fest. Work gets in the way.

Trick --- those 40 degrees look ruff. My heart bleeds.

The better half helped me nail some door casing painted flat black as a frame for the 2 foot by 6 foot banner. Hung it in the cheese hole/car garage this weekend. The black turned out better than staining/varnishing it.

John

Trickskier 01-09-2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragzl1 (Post 9496118)
Rick ---- Barrett Jackson +++++

Jan ---- That was your anti/lock brakes on glare ice. They stop and release the breaks 20 times a second. It makes the most awful sound. Will not be able to get to the fest. Work gets in the way.

Trick --- those 40 degrees look ruff. My heart bleeds.

The better half helped me nail some door casing painted flat black as a frame for the 2 foot by 6 foot banner. Hung it in the cheese hole/car garage this weekend. The black turned out better than staining/varnishing it.

John

Looks good John! It was 26 here Sunday morning - Nothing like what you experience but darn COLD for us Floridians! I had to wear tennis shoes instead of flip flops.

ragzl1 01-09-2017 03:29 PM

Trick --- My dad is down in Englewood. He is complaining also !!

John

Trickskier 01-09-2017 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ragzl1 (Post 9496430)
Trick --- My dad is down in Englewood. He is complaining also !!

John

John - Thank goodness that our COLD weather does not last long!!!

Attachment 843722

RubyCamaro 01-09-2017 07:49 PM

Banner looks great John. The one we have is so big it won't even fit on any wall in our garage. We have it partially on a wall & partially along a shelving unit. Wish we could do something like that.

69supersport396 01-10-2017 12:48 AM

Hi gang!

I love those posters John! Very cool.

Sorry to hear of the cold weather everyone. We had a nice weekend here, and I debuted the Caprice at our Paviliions Cruise. Here is my photo album:
https://onewaystreet.smugmug.com/Car...ions-1-7-2017/

Click on the thumbnail to see the larger photo.

Many of my Barrett Jackson friends already started working. There were probably about 300 cars already there on Friday. Saturday,they started video-ing them and parking them. I start on Thursday. The actual auction starts Monday and will feature about 100+ cars. This year, I work the morning shift, 8 am to 5 pm, so I may not be on TV too much. Every day is televised, I think on Velocity and Discovery?

Two vendors, Factory Five and some other, will be performing builds during the entire auction, and one of them will be sold on Sunday. There are 1738 consignments on the docket, so it's going to be epic. :thumb:

RubyCamaro 01-11-2017 06:52 PM

I want to retire!!!!!!! That is all. Just tired of the daily grind.

69supersport396 01-11-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9500602)

I'd like to also, but I have many years of working before I can retire.

Trickskier 01-12-2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 9500602)

I'm with you 100+ nights a year in a hotel room is getting old!

BLU DUCE 01-12-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickskier (Post 9501230)
I'm with you 100+ nights a year in a hotel room is getting old!

For 38 years I put 250 to 300 nights a year in the sleeper of my truck driving 49 states.:faint:

Trickskier 01-13-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike III (Post 9501260)
For 38 years I put 250 to 300 nights a year in the sleeper of my truck driving 49 states.:faint:

That's a lot of nights away from home to support your family! And I understand as I used to run Over-The-Road Irregular Route Trucking Companies.

BLU DUCE 01-13-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trickskier (Post 9503711)
That's a lot of nights away from home to support your family! And I understand as I used to run Over-The-Road Irregular Route Trucking Companies.

Yah but since retiring 12 yr's ago I get to spend more time with the kids Shouldn't call them kids anymore but bad habit. Oldest is 52 youngest 47. Daughter moved to Fla. w/3 grand sons 2 years ago. Just lucky I wanted to retire early. The wife and I worked are butts off to get out early so I retired at 59.

theragtopguy 01-13-2017 04:31 PM

Haven't posted here in a while......how's everybody doing?

Happy belated New Year to all.

I finally can see light at the end of the tunnel......I have narrowed down my retirement and move South to July 2020! By that November, we will have a Florida address!!

Crazy weather these days, 60+ yesterday, now tomorrow (Saturday) cold and some snow expected!!! Just enough to make things crappy on the roads.

Peace to all!!
Andy

RubyCamaro 01-13-2017 10:18 PM

Hi Andy! Good to hear from you. Glad you have a date to shoot for. I just asked Hubby to sit down with me & come up with a date for me to retire we can agree on. I want to start marking it off on a calendar. My younger sister (5 years younger) is retiring in July & moving to Fla. I don't want to move but daily long to retire.

zandron263 01-14-2017 06:49 AM

We have not put down a date yet but our current goal is summer\fall of 2023. Too far out to count down yet but close enough to see and plan for. We talked with a financial planner who went over our income, savings, and expenses and we are on track to meet that date and our pension and retirement savings should be enough to live comfortably on.

RubyCamaro 01-14-2017 11:41 AM

For us it is more about health insurance. Lots of questions in that area right now.

zandron263 01-14-2017 03:04 PM

Health Insurance is a real concern to have. Right now Jackie has lifetime insurance with her employer. There is a monthly premium with it but its pretty affordable. Of course we are praying it does not get negotiated away in a future contract. Luckily the amount of employees left that qualify for it is small so not much would be saved by getting them to give it up.

RubyCamaro 01-14-2017 07:02 PM

If you are going, get your Fest wristbands. Car show & NCM track slots are expected to sell out pretty quickly. Bought mine for 3 days of track fun!

RubyCamaro 01-16-2017 06:33 PM

Bump. Where is everyone?

70rsz28 01-16-2017 09:59 PM

Hello folks .
Rick looking forward to the auction .
John . I love the corvette .
Jan . I would love to go to the fest but it is the same wknd as my Indy car wknd in Toronto . I hope to make it to camaro superfest in michigan july 4th wknd .

In my mind my retirement would be in 5 yrs , i think my wife would say 7 yrs lol

Lafourche1 01-17-2017 04:27 PM

I am just finding this thread. At 62 (is that my IQ and age both?), I am doing my best to resist growing up.

BLU DUCE 01-17-2017 05:06 PM

Spike III Build 2011 IBM 1SS/RS [COTW 6/25/12]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 9510732)
I am just finding this thread. At 62 (is that my IQ and age both?), I am doing my best to resist growing up.

Welcome=== I don't really think anyone on this thread has even thought about growing up yet.:iono::doh:

RubyCamaro 01-17-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafourche1 (Post 9510732)

Welcome aboard! Lots of great folks hang out here.

My Friday & today at work were days from H-E double hockey sticks. Friday was to be expected being Friday the 13th & a full moon but it was exceptionally bad. Today was just full of one frustration after the other. Just not sure how long I will have the frustration tolerance to keep doing this job. Gotta find me something low stress I can do part time so I can retire.

Trying to watch for ya Rick!

Lafourche1 01-18-2017 02:00 PM

I browsed through a few of the posts regarding retirement and healthcare. I know that is an equation that I have had a bit of an issue with solving, at least till I turn 65.