Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   So what happened to the rumors about GM's 8 speed double-clutch? Coming in 2015? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280439)

HubStep 02-21-2013 12:45 PM

So what happened to the rumors about GM's 8 speed double-clutch? Coming in 2015?

So we all read the rumors pre-announcement:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/c7-corvett...-8-speed-auto/

"According to Motor Trend, GM has found itself in a bit of a bind regarding its next-generation transmissions for the upcoming 2014 C7 Corvette, among other vehicles. Their own in-house unit isn’t quite ready yet, so the General has outsourced the work to Aisin, a company owned in part by Toyota. It appears this delay only affects the automatic transmission, as other rumors indicate that GM has outsourced the 7-speed manual transmission to ZF.

Aisin makes two eight-speed automatic transmissions, including one capable of handling high torque loads for cars like the upcoming Corvette. More importantly though, GM needs to offer a smooth and efficient eight-speed automatic for its Cadillac brand. Other automakers like Mercedes and Chrysler already offer eight-speed automatics, so GM really needs to offer the same just to stay competitive."

I was pretty surprised when they announced a 6 speed auto to be honest... which leaves us in an interesting situation. Think we'll see the 8 on the 2015, or will they hold out for the Z06 and ZR1 models?

Oh, and hello from Camaro5 :)

Stingray 02-21-2013 12:59 PM

I think it's a good possibility that an Auto box w/ greater than 6 forward gears will be on a future C7... if not '15 then soon after that. It's always about incremental or selective upgrades and improvements model year after model year. ;)

CamaroSkooter 02-21-2013 01:04 PM

So, since Mercedes and Chrysler offer them, Chevrolet/GM must also offer an eight-speed transmission?

How is that logical?

First answer why a vehicle would need 8 forward speeds and then you'll understand why it's not an absolute necessity for the Corvette.

Eight-speed transmissions were developed to reduce road noise in high-end vehicles by keeping gearing within their engine's narrow power band that creates the most power without making excessive noise.

First off, the Corvette has a really wide power range, so you can put down the majority of the power without needing to shift repeatedly. And secondly, I'm pretty certain that Corvette drivers want to hear the engine as they stomp on the go-pedal.

So again, why does Chevrolet/GM ned to offer an 8-speed in the Corvette?

HubStep 02-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorvetteSkooter (Post 8490)
So, since Mercedes and Chrysler offer them, Chevrolet/GM must also offer an eight-speed transmission?

How is that logical?

First answer why a vehicle would need 8 forward speeds and then you'll understand why it's not an absolute necessity for the Corvette.

Eight-speed transmissions were developed to reduce road noise in high-end vehicles by keeping gearing within their engine's narrow power band that creates the most power without making excessive noise.

First off, the Corvette has a really wide power range, so you can put down the majority of the power without needing to shift repeatedly. And secondly, I'm pretty certain that Corvette drivers want to hear the engine as they stomp on the go-pedal.

So again, why does Chevrolet/GM ned to offer an 8-speed in the Corvette?

TBH I'm more excited about the double-clutch than the 8 speeds. I know more isn't always better, but it's documented GM is working on it so they must see some value in it.

Tran 02-21-2013 02:27 PM

Here's an earlier post on why GM went with the 6 speed auto:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 3539)
Some interesting bits:

He explains why the choice to go with a 6 speed automatic transmission (and not 8 speed) - see 10:30 into video. Basically reason is that the 6 speed is good for high torque engine like the LT1, while fitting an 8 speed just adds weight and mass.

Also says that they haven't shared everything about the car yet (woohoo!).

FenwickHockey65 02-21-2013 03:23 PM

8 speed transmission's on the way but trucks will probably get it first.

The_Blur 02-21-2013 04:07 PM

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of that many gears.

CamaroSkooter 02-21-2013 04:48 PM

The purpose of multiple gears is to keep the engine at an rpm that is in the most efficient part of the torque curve.

If your engine is high revving then the torque curve is probably really narrow and you'll need to shift gears more times to keep it in that range. ;)

mikeyg36 02-21-2013 05:33 PM

I really wish they gave it a dual clutch. Just as a reminder, the C6 used a 4 Speed auto for the first year or two.

volsfan0911 02-21-2013 05:53 PM

It sounds like the 'Vette is torquey enough that it could do nicely with 3-4 gears for the LT-1. However, the increased number of gears would be more for fuel economy in the C7 application. Tadge's interview at the reveal has him saying a couple of interesting things - 1) they looked at an 8 speed auto but it wouldn't fit (Aisin or ZF sourced probably) and 2) that a DCT was considered but there wasn't an available unit which could handle the torque. He goes on to say that 6 gears is fine for the auto. Yet they added a 7th (3rd overdrive) on the manual :der:

volsfan0911 02-21-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 8543)
I really wish they gave it a dual clutch. Just as a reminder, the C6 used a 4 Speed auto for the first year or two.

could be a similar scenario here where the 8 speed isn't ready so they're going with the carryover box for the first year. Seems to be a popular theory on corvetteforum and, obviously, there's a precedent for it as well with the Vette now.

Stingray 02-21-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volsfan0911 (Post 8547)
could be a similar scenario here where the 8 speed isn't ready so they're going with the carryover box for the first year. Seems to be a popular theory on corvetteforum and, obviously, there's a precedent for it as well with the Vette now.

Exactly what I iterated earlier... in 2 models years or so, I think we may see A/T improvements whether dual-clutch, 8-spds, etc... I would think that Chevy's flagship will have to keep up with the Jones'es just because of competition or keeping up with the times even if it isn't absolutely required.

mikeyg36 02-21-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 8552)
Exactly what I iterated earlier... in 2 models years or so, I think we may see A/T improvements whether dual-clutch, 8-spds, etc... I would think that Chevy's flagship will have to keep up with the Jones'es just because of competition or keeping up with the times even if it isn't absolutely required.

agreed

HubStep 02-21-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 8543)

A dual-clutch automatic would likely smoke the manual, shaving a decent bit off the 0-60 time.