CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Spoiler Question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585721)

mohawkcr 12-10-2020 02:43 PM

Spoiler Question

Hello, hoping someone can help me. Just ordered a 1ss 1LE. I want to put the Zl1 1LE type spoiler on the car, but I have read that the mounting holes from the original spoiler will be exposed. Does anyone know of a wing type spoiler like the ZL1 1LE that will match up with the SS 1LE? If not, can the exposed holes be filled and painted so they are hidden? I read about this topic in an earlier post, but it turned into an argument about how people shouldn't mod their car and just buy a Zl1. Hopefully we can avoid that!

Jaxcam02 12-10-2020 02:50 PM

1ss 1le wing is to far towards the rear being a "duckbill" type spoiler. The zl1 1le wing matches the standard SS stanchion mounting holes. Your best bet would be to find a regular SS or zl1 trunk lid in your color to swap.

ST1LE 12-10-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 (Post 10916859)
1ss 1le wing is to far towards the rear being a "duckbill" type spoiler. The zl1 1le wing matches the standard SS stanchion mounting holes. Your best bet would be to find a regular SS or zl1 trunk lid in your color to swap.

Agreed, you really want to do a trunk swap OP.

The 1LE spoiler is good looking, and I think plenty of SS guys would be interested. You can ask your dealership to NOT install the spoiler end pieces during pdi too, that way you don't have to remove them from your car(2-sided tape) and just swap the whole kit ready to install to new buyer.

mohawkcr 12-10-2020 03:21 PM

If Icant do a swap, is it possible to fill the holes and paint them to match? I read welding the holes is the best option?

Uncle Sam 12-10-2020 03:31 PM

Don't attack me for a suggestion:

Depending on the color of the car you ordered, you could use a wrap type of tape job to cover the holes. Say a red car with a black spoiler and an underlining area of black as a "shadow" under the spoiler. Think of the old Dodge tail stripe, but just on top of the rear deck.

mohawkcr 12-10-2020 03:46 PM

Hey, I will take any suggestions! Much appreciated

Uncle Sam 12-10-2020 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of new Dodge kits. I bet any wrap place could make you something exactly like you want.

Boost Creep 12-10-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST1LE (Post 10916872)
Agreed, you really want to do a trunk swap OP.

The 1LE spoiler is good looking, and I think plenty of SS guys would be interested. You can ask your dealership to NOT install the spoiler end pieces during pdi too, that way you don't have to remove them from your car(2-sided tape) and just swap the whole kit ready to install to new buyer.

This.
Ideal would be to find a trunk lid from a wreck in your color and keep the original for later sale/trade in value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohawkcr (Post 10916883)
If Icant do a swap, is it possible to fill the holes and paint them to match? I read welding the holes is the best option?

Back with the '04-'06 GTO's this was a popular mod. Many would remove the factory spoiler and have a body shop fill the holes and spray the lid. You couldn't tell there were ever holes there.

mohawkcr 12-10-2020 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info, at least I know filling the holes can be done if need be

carguy55 12-11-2020 07:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Someone made this chart to show to difference in holes between the SS 1LE and a SS or ZL1 with the 3 post spoiler. Its a little off as far as exact locations. Problem is with just drilling and filling is GM starting reinforcing the holes with internal stiffeners in 2018 to support the wing. Ideally would need a trunk lid from 2018 or newer from an SS or ZL1 that would have the correct holes and stiffeners. I found a 2018 SS donor lid (red) on FB just by chance.