Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   2019 Camaro Fest (IX) (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=312)
-   -   Meticoulouly maintained 2019 Camaro ZL-1 door rusting... (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619554)

Ricard350 09-09-2023 11:00 PM

Meticoulouly maintained 2019 Camaro ZL-1 door rusting...

2 Attachment(s)
---POSTED AT THE WRONG PLACE----

Found this today while I was wiping water inside the lower doors lip post washing...

I think this is unacceptable.

18 000km and never seen driven in the rain...

I suspect a bad seal at the seam.
The driver side is flawless...

What do you guys thinks? Am I the only one with this???

chevy pilot 09-10-2023 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricard350 (Post 11357399)
I think this is unacceptable.

No it is not in 2019 car.
I have seen that door rusting in 2010-12 cars.

102SS 09-10-2023 05:58 AM

Once they ship the 6th Gens to Canada they start rusting:confused0068:

Its the shivering ;)

Seriously though that really sucks.:mad2:

Have you had your dealer look at it?

Not that they would do much as they only cover rust through (holes) under the seven year corrosion protection.

On the positive side you caught it early and if you look after now it shouldn't cost much.

xstuntman 09-10-2023 07:23 PM

So you don't think it's seam sealer that got painted over?

Can't hurt to pump a a little bit of motor oil in those doors.
Messy maybe but rust is worse.

Trickskier 09-29-2023 07:17 AM

Hope this helps you!

GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against corrosion for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Plus you're protected even further from rust-through corrosion for a minimum of 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

chevy pilot 09-29-2023 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstuntman (Post 11357636)
So you don't think it's seam sealer that got painted over?

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Has anyone scratched that there is actually rust under the paint or
would the paint have bubbled for another reason ?

m6-lt1 10-04-2023 02:22 PM

I had this on my driver door on my last 6th gen however I chalked it up to the driver door having had some form of repair done to it (according to the carfax and my paint gauge device). I had a body shop hit it with a wire wheel and paint over it. Fortunately it’s in the best location for a repair as no one ever looks down there and you don’t have to do any blending on adjacent panels.

Ever since this happened to me I now make it a habit to open all doors, hood and trunk to let any trapped water fall out so it doesn’t rust again. I bet lower mileage non daily driver cars are more susceptible to this as people wash them, only open the car door and pull them back into the garage for a day+ thus leaving trapped water in that area for an extended period of time.

lbls1 11-02-2023 08:55 AM

Sorry but this is unacceptable. Do your best to keep the car out of moisture. If you bought the car new, speak to your dealer for corrective measures, as you have a warranty against corrosion (although limited). First, find out if its actually rust. A lot of the time these cars come out of the factory rough, with particles cast inside of painted parts. If its not rust, then you shouldn't worry as it won't get worse (it doesn't look nice but if its not rust no one will care).

Obviously you need to keep the car out of moisture. Every once in a while spray on detailing spray, or spray wax, or spread wax on the sills and under the doors. Rely on my personal testament; It helps greatly.

Good luck.

chef-beavis 11-02-2023 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pro body man, and I suspect that is seam sealer related and not rust. Only way to know is to poke through the paint and check.

Here's mine at 11 years, 7000k miles. Never seen rain.

gtstorey 11-02-2023 04:49 PM

It could have been contaminated before painting and the paint bubbled. If it is on top of the primer it might be ok leaving it alone. If the contamination was before primer, it probably has some surface rust anyway.

1JEWLDSSRS 11-02-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef-beavis (Post 11375516)
Pro body man, and I suspect that is seam sealer related and not rust. Only way to know is to poke through the paint and check.

I agree here, possibly. My Camaro is 12 years old with 129k miles. I do recall on one of my doors, and acouple other areas on the car I do have this same scenario. I was told that it is some seam sealer that had "squeezed" out from between the two panels when they were joined. I just left it alone because I was the only one who knew it was there. I live in Florida and she was a daily driver for 9 of her 12 years, and no rust anywhere.. :happy0180:

Bigdumogre 11-03-2023 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef-beavis (Post 11375516)

Atleast you are smart enough to pull the door water drain plugs on a old car. Its amazing how much water can sit in the bottom of a door even after just washing it.

chef-beavis 11-03-2023 02:04 PM

No plugs on these, so no need to worry about that!