Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The replacement key question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377657)

fabes253 09-16-2014 04:02 PM

The replacement key question

Sorry if its been posted, am on the road and cant easily search.

Chevy is telling me I have to go with the 2 key set up, 1 to open my car and 1 to start my car..

I think this is retarded, is there any way through, writing corporate or negotiating or heck, even paying (though I dont believe I should have to) to make Chevy replace the key with another switchblade key that does not have the same issues?

Definitely loses the cool factor having a useless switchblade.

Squillo 09-16-2014 04:07 PM

Sign the waiver and decline the recall.

pickwithaustin 09-16-2014 04:12 PM

All my classics have 2 keys; one for doors/trunk, and one for ignition. Love the good old days. That said, keep your switchblade keys - you own them, they belong to you. They cannot force you to change them.

fabes253 09-16-2014 04:17 PM

I wouldnt mind having the extra peace of mind knowing they fixed the issue, but why cant they replace the key with a newer switchblade design or ignition that does not have this issue? I dont know of any of th EU cars with switchblade keys that have issues like this.

EMB135Driver 09-16-2014 04:25 PM

What are you talking about....they don't give you 2 keys....they give you a key and the remnants of your switchblade key to act as a FOB....theyre linked together like most cars. This precludes bumping the protruding switchblade key with your knee and shutting off the car.

Wizard1183 09-16-2014 04:42 PM

I'd like to know how many ppl have actually shut their car off with their knee? I haven't heard of anyone here who has and has complained about it. Of course Im not on the forum 24/7, but I'd think I'd have crossed that thread if it was that big an issue. I don't have a problem so my keys are staying as they were.

Evergreen6 09-16-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabes253 (Post 7955691)
I wouldnt mind having the extra peace of mind knowing they fixed the issue, but why cant they replace the key with a newer switchblade design or ignition that does not have this issue? I dont know of any of th EU cars with switchblade keys that have issues like this.

What issue?

I know you're talking about the ignition switch "accidental knee bump" issue, but unless your knee actually comes into contact with the fob, why would you even have the recall done? Do you have the issue?

SnowyCamaro 09-16-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 7955763)
I'd like to know how many ppl have actually shut their car off with their knee? I haven't heard of anyone here who has and has complained about it. Of course Im not on the forum 24/7, but I'd think I'd have crossed that thread if it was that big an issue. I don't have a problem so my keys are staying as they were.

There was a member on here who actually did shut his car off by hitting it with his knee and crashed his car. I don't think its very realistic for the majority of people, because the guy showed a video outlining how it happened in his fixed car, he was about 6'3" and literally sitting with his chest against the steering wheel. I have never seen anyone drive like that. But if you look closely he didn't "bump" the key rather than turn it, his knee contacted the backside of the key fob and rotated it to the off position. I would bet that if he did the exact same experiment with the new fob, he would get the exact same result cause if your knee is close enough to turn the fob, it should be close enough to turn the new key.

There is nothing wrong with the ignition, hence the reason for not switching out the actual ignition unlike the other recalls. A real fix would be rotating the ignition so that the resting position of the key when running is not horizontal, hence no lever for your knee to rotate if it contacts it. It woulds simply jam the key upwards keeping it in the same position (assuming that you didn't hit it with enough force to actually damage something).

I'm 6'2" and I would need to be a gymnast or sitting with my chest hitting the horn to actually hit the key.

Bottomline keep your keys, gm is just trying cover their butts.

pickwithaustin 09-16-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard1183 (Post 7955763)

I had a Solstice before this. Remember the key and ignition issue with them and the number of people killed as a result? GM didn't do anything until they were called on it... and they looked very bad as a result. It is very understandable that they are taking proactive action on this potential issue this time. Corrective action is never the way to go... PREVENTATIVE is.

As someone else stated, there was someone on this forum that stated that it happened to them. I won't be turning in my key, but I respect that fact that they are doing what they think is right this time around. I got rid of my Solstice because of the whole ignition and key issue, BTW.

Paladinjc 09-16-2014 07:40 PM

After reading this thread I am even less sure what to do. I got the recall notice two days ago.

nelsont 09-16-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabes253 (Post 7955659)
Sorry if its been posted, am on the road and cant easily search.

Chevy is telling me I have to go with the 2 key set up, 1 to open my car and 1 to start my car..

I think this is retarded, is there any way through, writing corporate or negotiating or heck, even paying (though I dont believe I should have to) to make Chevy replace the key with another switchblade key that does not have the same issues?

Definitely loses the cool factor having a useless switchblade.

you get one key, the dealership is filling u full of it.

Tim

Homer2 09-16-2014 07:54 PM

Yup - one key and the fob.

cadyshac 09-16-2014 08:02 PM

I am keeping the keys to both cars, this is crazy.

Put the ignition switch back in the dash, problem solved.

TX/ZL1 09-16-2014 08:15 PM

I'm really missing something here. They took the key out of my fob, and put the keyless fob and a new key on a key ring. It took me about, oh, 30 seconds to get used to it.
It's not like it's the government telling you to turn over your hand guns!
There's got to be a better fight to pick....IMHO.