Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   GM Relocating Performance Build Center to Bowling Green (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280330)

JoeP@TeamBeckyD 01-31-2013 08:54 AM

GM Relocating Performance Build Center to Bowling Green

Announced 1/30
Quote:

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – General Motors will relocate its Performance Build Center, which allows engine aficionados to build their own specialty engines, from Michigan to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, home of the Chevrolet Corvette.

The move, backed by a $3.5 million investment and slated for the first quarter of 2014, was part of a consolidation of GM Powertrain engineering sites.

The Performance Build Center has been the source for the 6.2L LS3 V8 engine, which powers the Corvette Grand Sport Coupe manual version; the 7.0L LS7 V8 engine for the Corvette Z06 and the 6.2L Supercharged LS9 engine for the Corvette ZR1.

The move will eventually allow Corvette customers to combine the experience of watching their Corvette being assembled with participating in the build of their vehicle’s high-performance engine. Details on which engines would be available for customer assembly will be announced in the future.

“This is exciting news for the Corvette Assembly Plant and the community of Bowling Green,” said plant manager Dave Tatman. “We host thousands of guests each year, many of whom are here to see their Corvette being built. Bringing the Performance Build Center here simply adds to the thrill of purchasing a Corvette and increases satisfaction for our customers and employees."

In 2011, GM announced a $131 million investment for Bowling Green Assembly, including construction of a new body shop and renovations and upgrades throughout the facility. The improvements support production of the next-generation Corvette, which Chevrolet unveiled on Jan. 13, just before the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

:c7::stingray:

:becky:

Stingray 01-31-2013 09:40 AM

:thumb: :rockon:

Sweet! Ken....road trip! :D

The_Blur 01-31-2013 02:07 PM

I always thought this feature was a cool option for Corvette buyers. A lot of people are unaware that they can put their hands on their incomplete engine as part of the build process. It's one of the most unique options in the automotive industry.

firecross91 02-02-2013 07:29 AM

WTH Chevy? Why is it that Chevy is going to allow tours of thier brand new top of the line sports car plant? I've been trying to get a tour of the Camaro plant in Canada since ordering a ZL1 last Feb 1st. All I get is crap answers. They aren't even having the buyers/builders party in Canada this year. :mad2:

GaBoy25 02-02-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 5917)
:thumb: :rockon:

Sweet! Ken....road trip! :D

I'm down with the :stingray:

:clap2:

FenwickHockey65 02-02-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firecross91 (Post 6158)
WTH Chevy? Why is it that Chevy is going to allow tours of thier brand new top of the line sports car plant? I've been trying to get a tour of the Camaro plant in Canada since ordering a ZL1 last Feb 1st. All I get is crap answers. They aren't even having the buyers/builders party in Canada this year. :mad2:

GM has always done plant tours at Bowling Green. Other facilities, not so much. And that includes Oshawa.

Beechdoctor 02-07-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firecross91 (Post 6158)

The Camaro plant is many times larger than BG and handles several models at one time....not practical to have us wandering around.

GM has dramtically cut back buyer/build access to Corvette following some visitors spouting off online about tightening hardware on the assembly line and pulling cars out in the yard after the treadmill and burning tires on their new cars....it almost killed it for everyone in 2009.

BG is an older, more quaint facillity, and GM almost certainly only keeps it open to us in such a unique way more out of habit and loyalty to the Corvette buyer. The museum operates the tours and has been able to keep the tours going....without that presence, Im certain GM would have halted this activity years ago to eliminate liability alone.

OctaneZ28 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

I love this!

This will make the BG Plant Tours that much better! :)

FenwickHockey65 02-07-2013 10:51 PM

I plan on going sometime this year when the C7 starts production.

Gohan 02-09-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechdoctor (Post 6737)
The Camaro plant is many times larger than BG and handles several models at one time....not practical to have us wandering around.

GM has dramtically cut back buyer/build access to Corvette following some visitors spouting off online about tightening hardware on the assembly line and pulling cars out in the yard after the treadmill and burning tires on their new cars....it almost killed it for everyone in 2009.

BG is an older, more quaint facillity, and GM almost certainly only keeps it open to us in such a unique way more out of habit and loyalty to the Corvette buyer. The museum operates the tours and has been able to keep the tours going....without that presence, Im certain GM would have halted this activity years ago to eliminate liability alone.

Just takes a few knuckleheads to ruin it for everyone.

LeMans 02-14-2013 03:35 PM

It's cool, and a bit inconvenient for me. I'll explain: It used to be in Wixom, MI, while not close it's closer to Detroit than Bowling Green. On the upside, it'll give me an excuse to visit the National Corvette Museum.

Number 3 02-17-2013 07:39 PM

Wixom was all about LSA and LS7 and the odd LS3 with dry sump for the Grand Sport. All hand built.