Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Spied: 2014 Cadillac CTS (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280358)

FenwickHockey65 02-06-2013 06:52 PM

Spied: 2014 Cadillac CTS

2014 Cadillac CTS: This Is It
Jalopnik

February 6, 2013

The arrival of the Cadillac ATS has put the tried and true CTS in a bit of a tough spot. It's barely larger than the ATS, it's more expensive, and it's getting old. These are all bad things.

So the 2014 Cadillac CTS is changing. It'll be larger. And it'll have three engines, including GM's all new 3.6 liter twin turbo V6.

Also, this is it, exclusively on Jalopnik and nowhere else.

These pictures show more than we've seen of the new CTS yet. Hiding behind that silver CTS-V (Which is actually a special edition for 2013, it's matte silver and has some extra special stitching for $4,000, according to our tipster) you'll see a black sedan.

At first you might think it's an ATS. But then some details start to jump out at you.

Those headlights aren't as long. The side marker lights are in a different location. The grille is larger and more in your face. And that's because this isn't an ATS. It's the first picture of the 2014 CTS.

GaBoy25 02-06-2013 07:24 PM

Ok um...that back end looks.......:confused:

FenwickHockey65 02-06-2013 07:25 PM

It's a crappy picture.

imported_bolteon593 02-06-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6626)
It's a crappy picture.

it's a crappy car.

caddy's have just gotten the boot by the new mercedes CLA.

FenwickHockey65 02-06-2013 09:43 PM

Not even in the same class.

GaBoy25 02-06-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolteon593 (Post 6631)
it's a crappy car.

caddy's have just gotten the boot by the new mercedes CLA.

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Not even worth a rebutle.

imported_bolteon593 02-07-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6640)
Not even in the same class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBoy25 (Post 6642)
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Not even worth a rebutle.

i should have added *design wise

i had a cts rental a few weeks and and i absolutely loved it. so much so i went to the local dealer to look at the new ats.

i was incredibly intersted, did my research and found out what the pricepoint vs benifitpoint was for the car.

then the mercedes got announced. it's more bang for buck and cheaper at that.

then there's the looks. of course those are preferential but sweet mother of god why are they going back to the looks of the caddy's back in the 90's???!?!?!?!

remember that gem, the catera? yikes.

i'd be more than happy to hear contrary opinions.

FenwickHockey65 02-07-2013 06:32 PM

Again, it's not even in the same class. The CLA is an entry level car. It's not even RWD, and most of the powertrains aside from the AMG model aren't very compelling.

imported_bolteon593 02-07-2013 07:05 PM

entry class or not... the base model CLA has more hp and tq than the base ATS; for less money.

explain me that.

GaBoy25 02-07-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6711)
Again, it's not even in the same class. The CLA is an entry level car. It's not even RWD, and most of the powertrains aside from the AMG model aren't very compelling.

Lets go have a beer; I'll pay agent k :spy:

FenwickHockey65 02-07-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolteon593 (Post 6716)
entry class or not... the base model CLA has more hp and tq than the base ATS; for less money.

explain me that.

The 2.5L ATS was originally meant to be an overseas-market displacement only. And if you haven't noticed, even BMW ended up introducing an entry level 3-series into the US market with around the same performance specs as the 2.5L ATS. And also, if you haven't noticed, overseas-market CLAs follow the same strategy.

The base CLA may have more power but in no way will it outhandle an ATS or a 3-series. You get what you pay for. Have fun with it.

Back to the topic at hand.

imported_bolteon593 02-08-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6730)
The 2.5L ATS was originally meant to be an overseas-market displacement only. And if you haven't noticed, even BMW ended up introducing an entry level 3-series into the US market with around the same performance specs as the 2.5L ATS. And also, if you haven't noticed, overseas-market CLAs follow the same strategy.

The base CLA may have more power but in no way will it outhandle an ATS or a 3-series. You get what you pay for. Have fun with it.

Back to the topic at hand.

i would reserve the judgement on what car "outhandles" what car till they're actually compared.

besides; were talking about luxury cruisers here. not vettes.

and yes, back to the topic at hand....

why that back end, whyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!!

(on a serious note; i dig the front and the new designs but it doesn't yet feel like a language but rather a stop-gap.

the art and science language that was netting us gems like the cts coupe could have evolved with this push to soften such sharp corners but this; this back end looks like it came straight from the previous era)

Bad@ssCamaro 02-08-2013 12:31 PM

Yep, first impressions leave me less than enthused. :-/ (style-wise)