Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Deposit Ready..... NOW WHAT? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294362)

Rayo 05-08-2013 11:38 PM

Deposit Ready..... NOW WHAT?

OK, This past Monday I printed my order (elaborated on Word:word: and based on the Order Guide downloaded from here ) went to the dealer Swiped my debit card for a deposit ($2,500.00) and told I was #9 on their list.
But the sales man told me that my car would be arriving between December or January 2014. First he told me that they had only 8 spots and after a few minutes the same guy told the real allocation number was 12... ¿?:der:

So I have this questions that my dealer just cant answer...

When am I going to have an Order number?

Why is it that my car will take so long?

How can I know if I am really on the #9 spot?

Can the dealer take more orders than the allocations given by GM?

Please help, if some one knows or have an idea about this questions....
:thanks:

FRANKIEDABRUSH 05-09-2013 12:24 AM

HI, I'm not sure but I think with a Jan delivery you are in second run , not first. Dealers are over-allocating. Lets say they have 8 allocations. They book 12 or more. They call in 1 thru 8 and give you price. If anyone not happy with price they have reserve 9-12 to fall back on. If 1-8 are a go, they will be first run, fall delivery. 9-12 jan delivery.Again I'm not positive but with all the investigating I've been doing,it does seem possible. If you find out different let me know. I'm 8 out of 12 at my dealer.

laborsmith 05-09-2013 06:19 AM

In most cases a dealer can enter and get an order number even without allocation. Because 70% of Chevy dealers do not have allocation I suspect the computer will only accept order from the 30% that do have allocation , but probably will not stop a dealer from ordering more than allocated.

This is my practice: I go to the dealer and make an order but do not leave a deposit until I have the order number. Orders can be entered anytime but dealers usually only enter them once a week or no more than once a day (mega dealers) for their convenience, but a dealer CAN enter the order while you are sitting at the salespersons desk. You may have to push them, as I sometimes have to, but if the order number is important to you than push away.

Although possibly not necessary, other than the three biggest Corvette dealers, if a dealer can not give you an order number than there is every reason that dealer is among the 70% without allocation.

Only the dealer knows where you are on their list. Chevy takes orders matched to allocation as submitted unless the dealer bumps one up, althogh I can not think of any reason whatsoever a dealer would want to do such a thing. No reason. None at all.

Laborsmith

Rayo 05-09-2013 03:12 PM

Thank you guys. very helpful information.

Now, the only thing the dealer gave me was a receipt for my deposit....

Are they supposed to call me and give me the order number any time soon??

laborsmith 05-09-2013 04:08 PM

Are they supposed to call you? No.

Will they call you w/ order number? Not unless they already agreed to do so and may not the, unless reminded.

The order number really exists for Chevy's benefit. Not for yours. It is created when the order is first entered and will follow the build process to the end. If you look at a modern Chevy window sticker you will find the order number on it, usually near the bottom of the sticker on the right hand side. I have seen 1969 window stickers and the six character order number is there, only near the top a couple of lines below the dealer address.

My point: if you want it (and you do) you have to ask for it.

Laborsmith

Rayo 05-09-2013 09:15 PM

Oh ok, I see. thank you Laborsmith

So its there an official way to track the order?

And lets say Im #9 on the list do you have an idea of what it be the arriving-time-gap between order # 1 on the list and mine??

laborsmith 05-10-2013 06:25 AM

Best way to track your order, and no one will contradict me, is to post in the Order Tracking thread and let BeckyD do her magic. Your dealer salesperson can track for you and will get weekly updates which can be passed on to you.

#9 is not very meaningful. If you are #9 with Stanford Chevy in Dearborn your order could be assembled in the first few weeks of production. Stanford and two other Chevy dealers deliver almost half the Corvettes made and then there are half a dozen dealers who deliver 100+ a year so #9 on those lists would indicate late November to the endof the calendar year. So no, I do not.

This is a more complex subject than you might imagine, in part because every state has its own franchise laws but more importantly because the allocation and fulfillment process is heavily influenced by court decisions. And orders will be fulfilled not by who orders first but by which dealer has available allocations. Fair to the small dealer or not, that is just the way it is.

Laborsmith

sccaracer46 05-10-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laborsmith (Post 6526299)
Best way to track your order, and no one will contradict me, is to post in the Order Tracking thread and let BeckyD do her magic. Your dealer salesperson can track for you and will get weekly updates which can be passed on to you.

#9 is not very meaningful. If you are #9 with Stanford Chevy in Dearborn your order could be assembled in the first few weeks of production. Stanford and two other Chevy dealers deliver almost half the Corvettes made and then there are half a dozen dealers who deliver 100+ a year so #9 on those lists would indicate late November to the endof the calendar year. So no, I do not.

This is a more complex subject than you might imagine, in part because every state has its own franchise laws but more importantly because the allocation and fulfillment process is heavily influenced by court decisions. And orders will be fulfilled not by who orders first but by which dealer has available allocations. Fair to the small dealer or not, that is just the way it is.

Laborsmith

I would demand that he print you out the order which has the order number on it. When you have that number, you can go to www.chevy.com and click on "Track my order" and enter the number and it will tell you that the order has been placed and you can follow the progress. The first round of orders will be scheduled in two weeks. My dealer submitted my order on April 18, 2013 and gave me a copy of the order. Should be no problem if the dealer is being honest with you!

laborsmith 05-10-2013 05:22 PM

Has always worked for me.

I too go to "Track My Order" but it is not adequate if you are actually interested in tracking your order. Before Becky I used ChevyConnects (on hiatus now) and before that I regularly contacted my salesperson, by phone, by email, and in person to the point that the person who did the store's orders would recognize me and call my salesperson while I was sitting at her desk to give her the most recent info.

But it IS easier to just go through Becky.

Laborsmith

shockandawe 05-10-2013 05:58 PM

I'm No.1 at Gary Lang Auto Group in McHenry Il. When do you think I'll get my Corvette?

Rayo 05-10-2013 07:09 PM

Thank you guys 4 your time n comments,

But lets say My order its on the 2nd Run (January Delivery..... I HOPE NOT) are they still suppose to give an order number, because I did not see this guys submitting my order on the computer. They just took my card.. sweep it and that's it. ''We will call you, your are #9 on our list buddy, hopefully your car will here Dec-Jan.....bye bye"

Or why would be the reason they didnt give me an order number...

New C7 05-10-2013 07:16 PM

A deposit is just that. Not an order. It is the dealer taking money prior to an order placed on GM. Dealers are independent business. Unless you have a GM order number, it's not an order accepted by GM.

Rayo 05-10-2013 07:27 PM

How can I know for sure if they actually submitted my order?? Or is it that not all the selected dealers are submiting C7 orders??

laborsmith 05-10-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayo (Post 6529103)

Or why would be the reason they didnt give me an order number...

Dealers usually submit their orders once a week and usually there is one person who has that assignment. The process is not as easy as it sounds: a order goes in with options, first pass to match order against allocation (which is important if allocations are limited) second pass to determine if an option is on constraint, and iirc a third pass. If the store sells a hundred vehicles a month it is not too bad, but say six hundred . . . headache city.

But a preliminary order can be submitted any time the store is open so if a customer desires and insists the order can be submitted right then and the Order Workbench with the six character order number printed. Some dealers will give you a copy of the two page Order Workbench and some won't but once submitted the order number is generated. Preliminary means in the dealers queue and the passes I mentioned do not occur until allocations are matched against orders.

As a side note, say a dealer has ten allocations but only uses nine, that unused one will be given to another dealer who will take it. Dealers will take slow moving units because their reward will be access to additional quick moving units in addition to meeting quota bonuses we all know about.

My method is once I get the order number the dealer gets the deposit.

Laborsmith