Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Black Wheels? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331153)

1stcorvette 12-04-2013 10:16 AM

Black Wheels?

Could some of you that ordered black wheels please tell me why you did so?

I realize it's just a personal preference, but it seems to be very popular. I personally don't get it. Maybe it's an age thing? I'm 66 and ordered chrome, but my 30 year old son thinks the blacked out wheels look "gangsta". I'm too old to be that trendy.

I know we all love this car for its performance capabilities so black wheels or chrome for that matter don't help, so it must just be for the "look". I haven't looked at a lot of performance cars, i.e., Porsche, Mercedes, Bugatti, etc. so can someone that owns them tell me if they got black wheels on them?

Maybe some of you guys, or girls, can chime in and shed some light on this issue as to why you got them and what age bracket you're in. That would be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers, I'm just saying to each his own, but they aren't gonna be on my C7. Either way I know we all are going to be enjoying them.

bkindall 12-04-2013 10:36 AM

I ordered the black rims because I think it completes the look.

I ordered a Crystal Red 3lt Z51 With black rims, carbon flash racing stripes, mirrors and spoiler. My thought was chrome rims would stand out like a sore thumb due to all of the black that would be on the Corvette. If there was more chrome on it other places other than the grill line and badges I probably would have chosen the chrome rims over black.

solo40oz 12-04-2013 11:54 AM

If and when I order, I will be getting the black rims. I used to think black looked awful (and I still do think it looks awful on several types of rim), but there is something about this style rim that black looks good to me. I also think black makes it look more like a race car, and less like a show car. I've had chrome rims on several cars, and I'm kind of tired of it now - so gray, dark silver, black are starting to be my preference. I'm 37, so it probably is an age thing - I know my dad gripes about the black rims. :)

Nate GM 12-04-2013 12:14 PM

I think it definitely does have a lot to do with age. I've noticed that younger generations tend to prefer black wheels and older generations tend to prefer chrome. I'm sure there is a reason for it being that way but I honestly have no idea why.

That being said, it obviously doesn't apply for everyone. I'm ordering black wheels for my C7 because I think it goes best with my color. But I have to admit that chrome looks awesome on the C7 as well.

Emmdmd 12-04-2013 12:26 PM

The black rims just makes the car. This car is loaded with black accents and it just looks right. I'm 46 years old, so it's definitely not an age thing.

I just placed my order yesterday for a Crystal red Z51 with Black rims and carbon splash mirrors/spoiler. Also added more black with the carbon fiber roof.

Never thought I'd like the black rims until I saw this car. 99 times out of 100 I would have ordered chrome.....

1stcorvette 12-04-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo40oz (Post 7235570)
If and when I order, I will be getting the black rims. I used to think black looked awful (and I still do think it looks awful on several types of rim), but there is something about this style rim that black looks good to me. I also think black makes it look more like a race car, and less like a show car. I've had chrome rims on several cars, and I'm kind of tired of it now - so gray, dark silver, black are starting to be my preference. I'm 37, so it probably is an age thing - I know my dad gripes about the black rims. :)

Thanks, Solo for your input. And I can appreciate that you drive "wife mad".
I also agree that on some cars they actually look good! A perfect example is Nate's yellow C7.

So I think it basically comes down to an age thing mostly, but we'll see what others are saying.:focus:

Stingray 12-04-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stcorvette (Post 7235734)
I also agree that on some cars they actually look good! A perfect example is Nate's yellow C7.

So I think it basically comes down to an age thing mostly, but we'll see what others are saying.:focus:

I also agree with you guys (and yes I'm in the early 40's age bracket); IMPO nothing wrong with black wheels. I have black wheels on my Race Red with black stripes Boss 302 and it suits the intension on the mark, As for the C7, if the buyer's goal is to further match/contrast the darker vents and even moreso if TTV option is also present then it certainly acheives it aesthetically. The beauty with the new C7 is it can perfectly pull it off across the spectrum... from lighter colored wheels (such as silver, chrome, and even white on a AW C7) or to dark gray and black as mentioned throughout this thread.
:happy0180:

Richardlord 12-04-2013 01:56 PM

I'm 66, I ordered Black Wheels, and to go with them, I also ordered a 3LT Torch Red/Adrenaline Red Z51 Vert with Red Calipers, Black Top, Carbon Black Hood Stinger, Carbon Black Spolier & Outside Mirrors, Black Splash Guards, Carbon Black Interior to go with all the outside Black Accents. The Black nicely offsets, balances, and compliments all the Red. Thought the Carbon Black Full Racing Stripes a bit much with all the other Black, and better on a Coupe than a Vert. This Torch Red Z51 Vert is not just nicely accented by all the Black, it is a KILLER KOMBO. I can't wait to tool around in my C7 and blow minds as well as blow doors off!

But then, I work in federal law enforecment, and I like Black things; like Black SUVs, Black SWAT uniforms, and most of all, Black Assault Rifles. Maybe my agency gets a Black C7, now would that not look cool, a Black C7 Cop Car, but it would need very special lights.

C7BOB 12-04-2013 02:03 PM

I like black SPOKE or black CENTER wheels. Without a shiny rim to define the wheel, it looks like a steel wheel with missing hub caps. These are some of my cars with wheels that I painted myself. I can't understand paying for wheels that I can't see!

http://file.walagata.com/w/mazdabob/black_wheels.jpg

bowtie440 12-04-2013 02:30 PM

Black wheels?

Just turned 62. Have an Arctic White 1LT on order that is due at the dealer around 12/16/13. I am with the other guys here, black wheels, especially on a white car, just "make it". I plan to change my C7 by either plasticote, or powder coat, of the stock wheels. Or I will upgrade the stock wheels if I can find an aftermarket wheel that is a dead ringer for the factory black Z51 wheels.

FenwickHockey65 12-04-2013 02:35 PM

Matches the vents really well. Even more so if you opt for the black mirrors/spoiler.

And I'm just kinda done with chrome wheels. I liked them for a bit but now I just think they're too gaudy.

laborsmith 12-04-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtie440 (Post 7235976)
Just turned 62. Have an Arctic White 1LT on order that is due at the dealer around 12/16/13. I am with the other guys here, black wheels, especially on a white car, just "make it". I plan to change my C7 by either plasticote, or powder coat, of the stock wheels. Or I will upgrade the stock wheels if I can find an aftermarket wheel that is a dead ringer for the factory black Z51 wheels.

PVD Chrome your oem wheels; choices include bright or black.

Just a suggestion.

Laborsmith

Glen e 12-04-2013 04:40 PM

Never have liked all black wheels, too much potential lost to have an area of a car pop. They just become black holes on the car. I do however, love back wheels with machined faces as I have done on my last 3 cars. They stay clean and really add to the cars look, like fine jewelry on a elegant lady.

lawdogg149 12-04-2013 06:39 PM

Because us younger people are just to lazy to clean chrome. Ah I love my black wheels.