Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   AFM...Auto/Manual...On or Off? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280899)

90503 03-04-2013 10:24 AM

AFM...Auto/Manual...On or Off?

As I understand it, the LT1 in the Corvette will have AFM (cylinder de-activation) in the auto trans, and (new for this year) in the manual trans as well...

...Was wondering if a driver choice on/off "switch" of some type is going to be on the car that would keep engine in full V-8 mode...Thanks...

FenwickHockey65 03-04-2013 10:27 AM

A few sources speculate that putting the car in certain driving modes like Track will reduce how often AFM kicks in.

Stingray 03-04-2013 12:29 PM

Or completely disable(?) AFM in Track Mode... time will tell. :clock:

volsfan0911 03-04-2013 01:31 PM

I believe I've read somewhere that Track will completely disable AFM. CAGS remains another story? I'd expect someone will come up with a hack in relatively short order for both the skip-shift and cylinder de-activation if desired. In one of his interviews, Tadge notes that a torque converter automatic transmission played really well with AFM. Or something to that effect.

If it really is as transparent as they claim, I'm fine with the system in Eco mode or Wimp mode or whatever they want to call it. 26 average mpg doesn't like a bad deal as long as all the ponies are available IMMEDIATELY if in Sport or Track mode.

ec1990 03-04-2013 04:32 PM

CAGS may actually be disabled if Track mode if a true Track mode.

I believe it has to meet a set of parameters, RPM, speed, gear, etc... to engage. Take the gas mileage the drone won't be bad when you're at 1500 RPM's in 7th gear at 70MPH.

volsfan0911 03-04-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6244959)
CAGS may actually be disabled if Track mode if a true Track mode.

I believe it has to meet a set of parameters, RPM, speed, gear, etc... to engage. Take the gas mileage the drone won't be bad when you're at 1500 RPM's in 7th gear at 70MPH.

shouldn't be any at all. Even on the "base" non-NPP exhaust there is a primary butterfly valve in front of the mufflers which serves to cancel out V-4 drone when the motor is running in AFM mode. We'll see how it sounds though. And honestly? I never drive that slow in my GTI on the interstate typically. Sure as hell don't see myself doing 70 in my C7 much. Either slower if I'm in traffic or there's law enforcement around or a little faster :lol:

Tampa Tuning 03-06-2013 08:29 PM

Once we crack the code to the ECM, as many guys in the corvette world will want that off like the Camaro guys. It will be more interesting how its done in the manual mode.
Phil

volsfan0911 03-06-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 6254760)
Once we crack the code to the ECM, as many guys in the corvette world will want that off like the Camaro guys. It will be more interesting how its done in the manual mode.
Phil

it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the aftermarket community to break it. 5 minutes? :sm0: OK, probably a little longer. But it'll happen pretty quickly I'm betting..........

WesC5 03-06-2013 09:34 PM

CAGS....ugh.... :mad0260: Pain in the arse....especially in heavy stop and go traffic.

JR-Vette 03-06-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volsfan0911 (Post 6254851)
it'll be interesting to see how long it takes the aftermarket community to break it. 5 minutes? OK, probably a little longer. But it'll happen pretty quickly I'm betting..........

The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.

mlee 03-07-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 6254760)
Phil

Why would it be any different than the Camaro in manual mode?

ec1990 03-07-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 6255850)
Why would it be any different than the Camaro in manual mode?

I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...

mlee 03-07-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6256487)
I believe he's talking about manual transmission. LS3 doesn't have AFM/DoD, the LT1 is the first to apply it to manual transmissions.

I could see it being difficult, does it turn off during a gear switch or rev match? Does it only turn off on downshifts, not upshifts, etc...

Ahhh gotcha..:thumbsup:

volsfan0911 03-08-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR-Vette (Post 6255270)
The same E92 or E95 PCM that will be used in the C7 has been used in Europe for over 2 years now and no one has been able to crack it

It is not as easy as someone ripped off GM's security seed as the E38,E40 E67 or even older 0411 PCMs

It now requires the PCM to act like a node client and pass security to a remote GM server for controller software updates and all this about how easy and how everyone is going to just start throwing mods at C7 it are in for a rude surprise.

went and did some research - you're absolutely correct. Well, I wasn't planning on any immediate mods anyway (other than hopefully being able to defeat CAGS) so that's a good thing.