Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   What are y'all choices of C7 Corvette exhaust systems? Thinking of straight pipess (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280258)

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:27 PM

What are y'all choices of C7 Corvette exhaust systems? Thinking of straight pipess

So lets hear it, since I'm sure more than everyone is leaving the exhaust as a option that they would improve. MY options are either going with a Borla Full Cat-Back, or going to cut the whole thing out and go straight pipes and re weld the Stock tips exactly how they were originally. What are y'all thoughts?

Stingray 01-25-2013 02:41 PM

First and foremost... I want to be mesmerized by muscular tunes from that stock quad exhaust setup... and if possible, the NPP option.

It'll be :music: to my :ear:

ec1990 01-25-2013 02:43 PM

Whichever sounds best, but always leaned towards Bassani, Borla, Corsa, although the Stainless Works is awesome on the Camaro.

Although with AFM I may just leave the upgraded performance from GM on since it has exhaust flaps to counter the drone.

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:47 PM

Do any of y'all think when the car shuts off half the cylinders while cruising, that there you be a sound problem when running straight pipes?

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 4600)
First and foremost... I want to be mesmerized by muscular tunes from that stock quad exhaust setup... and if possible, the NPP option.

It'll be :music: to my :ear:

Whats NPP? Thank you

Stingray 01-25-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei (Post 4607)
Do any of y'all think when the car shuts off half the cylinders while cruising, that there you be a sound problem when running straight pipes?

:grouphug: = :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Stingray 01-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei (Post 4608)
Whats NPP? Thank you

:sorry: ...similar to what the new Camaro has... a Variable Tuned Performance Exhaust option but obviously engineered specifically for the new :stingray:

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 4611)
:sorry: ...similar to what the new Camaro has... a Variable Tuned Performance Exhaust option but obviously engineered specifically for the new :stingray:

Thank you!

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 4609)
:grouphug: = :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

So its best to just stick with a Pre made system from either Borla or Corsa probably uh?..

Stingray 01-25-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei (Post 4614)
So its best to just stick with a Pre made system from either Borla or Corsa probably uh?..

Too premature to answer... we'll see later this year! :thumb:

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 4615)
Too premature to answer... we'll see later this year! :thumb:

Gotcha :thumb:, most likely we can wait for some to post test about it.

Gohan 01-25-2013 04:07 PM

Nice, I like seeing talk of modding already :)

I've always been a fan of Borla and Corsa. But the factory exhaust already sounds pretty good!

OctaneZ28 01-25-2013 04:33 PM

Definitely want NPP. My C6 has it and I love it.
And it's even better with the Mild2Wild remote control. :)

As far as cat-back exhaust goes, stock is sufficient.
Aftermarket systems just change the noise, they're not worth much power, if any.
But headers are definitely worth it, so long tubes would be in the plans for sure.

chrisrefaei 01-25-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octane (Post 4668)
Definitely want NPP. My C6 has it and I love it.
And it's even better with the Mild2Wild remote control. :)

As far as cat-back exhaust goes, stock is sufficient.
Aftermarket systems just change the noise, they're not worth much power, if any.
But headers are definitely worth it, so long tubes would be in the plans for sure.

You so read my mind about the Long Tube headers, that's why I originally wanted to go straight pipes, but most likely I'll do Headers to stock cat back and see what that brings and then consider a cat-back. And your right about it not being about the power gain over noise, cause thats truly what I'm really going for is the noise factor.

GaBoy25 01-25-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei (Post 4687)
You so read my mind about the Long Tube headers, that's why I originally wanted to go straight pipes, but most likely I'll do Headers to stock cat back and see what that brings and then consider a cat-back. And your right about it not being about the power gain over noise, cause thats truly what I'm really going for is the noise factor.

I personally think straight pipes would sound like crap.

Big block v8....:thumb:

On a lt1 vette

Almost an abomination:doh:

IMHO :D

Stingray 02-07-2013 09:01 AM

When the AFM kicks in on straight pipes... that may even sound like Big Tuba Band Go Wild. :D

imported_THE EVIL TW1N 02-13-2013 03:57 AM

I haven't looked at the pics, but hopefully they throw a true dual exhaust on there! All the tips in the world won't solve that single exhaust sound. I've never heard a Corvette that I like the exhaust sound, always seems to be the one thing missing! This new Corvette looks so BADASS, it deserves better!

Kronix 02-16-2013 03:34 PM

It's probably going to be a little while before the aftermarket world starts cranking products out for the C7. I'm going to enjoy what GM did first, then see what comes out. I've spent quite a bit of money on my Supercharged Camaro right out of the gate, and in the 15 months I've owned it, I only have about 2300 miles because I keep adding to it. I don't want to go through the same thing with my C7.

Stingray 02-18-2013 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Factory Performance Exhaust option... notice the butterfly valves. I took this pic at the CHI Auto Show yesterday. :stingray:

GaBoy25 02-18-2013 03:26 PM

:wub:

Stingray 02-19-2013 10:01 AM

Here are closeup shots I took of the factory exhaust headers... part of the LT1 showcase display at the show. :stingray:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8103/8...d6921eff_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8...83cc20bc_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8...a764367d_b.jpg

GaBoy25 02-19-2013 03:31 PM

That's a piece of art.

mikeyg36 02-19-2013 04:08 PM

Those pics are fantastic! I personally would go with the dual mode exhaust. It prevents AFM drone and it sounds great!

volsfan0911 03-29-2013 09:40 PM

There is actually a primary set of valves upstream of the mufflers I believe specifically to deal with V-4 drone when AFM is active. NPP will also get you the additional butterfly valves to open up all 4 pipes as you can see on some of the Geneva videos at startup. I think the NPP on all the show cars so far sounds awesome. Best of all worlds, quiet cruising without drone then wakes up when you nail the throttle and/or switch modes into Sport or Track. Sounds like a winner to me. :D

Stingray 04-09-2013 01:06 PM

I took this at Barrett Jackson a few days ago... start up & idling before it was driven to the stage. :stingray:
A million bucks worth of exhaust sounds right there... according to Hendrick. :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqQ1WA6XRY

Tenneco Supplying Emission Control Technologies On 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (April 8, 2013) Tenneco announced it is supplying key emission control technologies, including electrical valves, for the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, one of the most highly anticipated vehicles debuting in 2013. Considered one of the key performance features of the car, the Corvette’s exhaust system delivers a unique signature sound.

Most notably, the Corvette’s standard exhaust system is the first vehicle to utilize Tenneco’s electrical valve technology for sound tuning. The electric valves are designed to work in concert with the vehicle’s Active Fuel Management (AFM) system, a fuel-saving four-cylinder mode versus eight-cylinder mode. The valves open and close to control the Corvette’s exhaust sound as it switches between the two engine modes.

In addition to the valves highlighted in the AFM system, the exhaust system features an option, which includes two additional electrical valves in the tailpipes, tuned specifically for enhanced sound quality. These valves remain closed during normal driving conditions and open during harder acceleration, creating lower backpressure, more engine power and most importantly, Corvette’s signature sound.

“The Corvette is one of America’s iconic automobiles, and Tenneco could not be more excited and pleased to partner with Chevrolet to provide a combination of performance attributes, including improved fuel economy, power and the vehicle's signature sound,” said Tim Jackson, Tenneco’s chief technology officer. “Additionally, the program gives Tenneco an opportunity to demonstrate our advanced exhaust technology on one of the highest-performance vehicles available in the market.”

Tenneco is a global supplier to General Motors, providing both ride performance and clean air technologies for GM passenger cars and light and medium-duty trucks.

The company manufactures the electric valves at its Valencia, Spain, facility, while the other system components will be produced at its Seward, Neb., and Elkhart, Ind., facilities. Final assembly of the exhaust system takes place at Tenneco’s Smithville, Tenn., plant. Tenneco’s global emissions technical centers in Edenkoben, Germany, and Grass Lake, Mich., provided electric valve engineering and systems integration support.

hognutz 04-29-2013 12:31 PM

I prefere the borla stingers to the NPP sound hands down on any car. sound is subjective though. what one person loves another might hate.

nice thing about the NPP stuff is you can quite it down if you want.

Corvettestingray 10-03-2013 03:17 PM

Headers with NPP...you can't beat the flexibility, you don't want the car to be ridiculously loud 24-7

GQ4Life 11-07-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvettestingray (Post 7060515)
Headers with NPP...you can't beat the flexibility, you don't want the car to be ridiculously loud 24-7

Thats what I am looking at right now..
Just looking at Kooks 2" runners to 3" back to NPP mufflers..

Frans96ss 11-08-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQ4Life (Post 7166640)
Thats what I am looking at right now..
Just looking at Kooks 2" runners to 3" back to NPP mufflers..

If you wanna hear mine let me know. I have 1 7/8 ARH with the Stock NPP catback

Stingray 11-08-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frans96ss (Post 7168647)

Let's hear it! Vids? Idle and with some gas, etc...

GQ4Life 11-08-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frans96ss (Post 7168647)

ARH were released already..
def would love to hear it!!!!

Have they released a 2" runners one?

EDITED**
Just saw vid of jamies car with the headers.. and saw dyno.. so awesome..

Brabolus 11-10-2013 08:03 PM

I think borla has a video with their exhaust on the C7

urr2slo 11-11-2013 02:18 PM

Magnaflow is releasing a full catback that will work with all the modes in the NPP, it is 3" as opposed to the factory 2.75 system.
Sounds much deeper, great sound with headers.
Straight pipes will sound like ass.

GQ4Life 11-11-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urr2slo (Post 7176574)
Magnaflow is releasing a full catback that will work with all the modes in the NPP, it is 3" as opposed to the factory 2.75 system.
Sounds much deeper, great sound with headers.
Straight pipes will sound like ass.

Doubtful add any power. Only 1/4" wider pipe. & the valves already straight pipes.
Think just make it louder. Real loud with headers lol..
cant wait for sound clips

Be cool 2" runners to 3.25" pipes alk the way back.. for people planning big power

Jabs 11-15-2013 09:59 AM

I think I might go with the Borla ATAK :D

Stingray 11-15-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQ4Life (Post 7177801)
Doubtful add any power. Only 1/4" wider pipe. & the valves already straight pipes.
Think just make it louder. Real loud with headers lol..
cant wait for sound clips

Be cool 2" runners to 3.25" pipes alk the way back.. for people planning big power

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabs (Post 7188589)
I think I might go with the Borla ATAK :D

If we're updrading a non-NPP C7 with a freer flowing exhaust set (minimum axle-back)... and as along as the upgraded set meets or exceeds GM's NPP specs, then technically there should be at least a 5hp + 5tq increase.

GQ4Life 11-15-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 7188608)
If we're updrading a non-NPP C7 with a freer flowing exhaust set (minimum axle-back)... and as along as the upgraded set meets or exceeds GM's NPP specs, then technically there should be at least a 5hp + 5tq increase.

I should dyno with the valves open & close see if any difference

Spencer @ LPR 12-16-2013 02:49 PM

Interested in seeing other exhaust systems as they come out. Be sure to check ours out as well, it will be ready for the public at the beginning of the year!

Info @ www.legendaryperformanceracing.com

thrilled 06-01-2014 08:28 AM

Just purchased the c7 stock exhaust no NPP.What is the best exhaust system today,from the exhaust manifold back?

GQ4Life 06-01-2014 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrilled (Post 7709775)
Just purchased the c7 stock exhaust no NPP.What is the best exhaust system today,from the exhaust manifold back?

American Racing Headers
dont know cat back