Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Bowling Green Plant Begins Transition from C6 to C7 (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280560)

DucMan 03-02-2013 12:21 PM

Bowling Green Plant Begins Transition from C6 to C7

From Robyn Minor of the Bowling Green Daily News

Thursday marked the end of an era for General Motors Bowling Green Assembly Plant, but another one will begin in about three weeks when the first of the new 2014 Corvette Stingrays are produced.
The last 2013 model C6 rolled off the line Thursday morning. Today, it will be in front of the plant for an employee group photo before being packaged and shipped to Detroit, where it will be on display at the GM Heritage Center.

Even though the 2013 C6 was produced for just 10 months, it’s production topped that of 2012 models that had a 12-month production run. There were 13,466 produced for 2013, compared to 11,747 for the 2012 model year. In model year 2011, 13,596 were built.

As soon as the frame of the last car passed through the frame shop, workers started dismantling the line. The same was true as it passed through each station along the production line. Metal from the line will be recycled.
Expected production for the 2014 Stingray is an unknown at this point. Dealers have not yet begun to take orders, nor has a formal pricing structure been agreed upon.

But Tatman said some dealers, not General Motors, have decided on their own to take deposits for the new vehicles.

“I have heard that it could be as many as 36,000 who have paid deposits, but I have no way of confirming that,” Tatman said.

Tatman said he knows Campbell Chevrolet wants several of the vehicles.

Troy Campbell, part owner in Campbell Chevrolet, said the dealership has about 20 deposits for the vehicle.

“No dealer really knows how many they are going to get,” Campbell said. “We heard one rumor that it would be one for every four we sold last year, in which case we should be getting 18 to 20 of them. But we stopped taking deposits since we really don’t know and didn’t want to disappoint anyone.

“But there are lot of people calling about the car because it is a totally different body style,” he said. “We’ve gotten a lot of calls. I’ve seen the car up close and personal and it is beautiful.”

The plant will be down for three weeks with about half of the employees coming in for training. All employees will return March 25.

“Slow builds will start then so that everybody learns their jobs,” Tatman said.

Cars will be in showrooms in the third quarter of this year, with orders being taken sometime soon. But that time is still to be determined, Tatman said.

There are 655 full-time employees at the assembly plant. At full production, there will be close to 800 full-time, plus salaried and temporary workers. Tatman was authorized to hire up to 170 temporary workers over the coming year, but none of those have been brought in yet.

“I still have a couple of classes of permanent employees to bring in,” he said.

Also check out the Bowling Green Assembly Plant website.

http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/home.htm

Camaro_Corvette 03-02-2013 03:41 PM

Goodbye C6! You will be missed!

BWF07 03-02-2013 05:41 PM

I like the C7, but I love my C6. There is just something about it. I had the C5 and made the move up about 8 months ago.

mikeyg36 03-02-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 6236939)
Goodbye C6! You will be missed!

:flag1: RIP C6 :flag1:

Bad@ss'vette 03-03-2013 07:04 AM

:flag1: :rip: :hail:

Can't wait to see :stingray: in the other colors :sorry:

Stingray 03-03-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad@ss'vette (Post 6238812)
:flag1: :rip: :hail:
Can't wait to see :stingray: in the other colors :sorry:

:amen: to that!

:wave: C6 and :welcome: C7