Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Do we know gear ratios? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280218)

Bolt-onC6 01-23-2013 10:21 AM

Do we know gear ratios?

Have not read anywhere what gear ratios come in the 7 speed manual tranny or what differential gearing is standard or comes in the Z51. I would assume the 6 speed automatic is the same as C6.

OctaneZ28 01-23-2013 10:39 AM

The only gear ratio I've heard so far is the rear-end on the manual, which will be 3.42.

Bolt-onC6 01-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octane (Post 3523)
The only gear ratio I've heard so far is the rear-end on the manual, which will be 3.42.

That's fine as long as the tranny first gear is low. Like a 3.50 ratio. That 2.66 first gear won't get the job done with 3.42 out back.

Vette TPI 01-23-2013 04:47 PM

My car at least has a 3.06:1 first gear! Now if I had 3.42's out back first gear might become useless.. :clap2:

Bolt-onC6 01-23-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette LM7 (Post 3629)
My car at least has a 3.06:1 first gear! Now if I had 3.42's out back first gear might become useless.. :clap2:

Cars with any good amount of power will find 1st gear almost useless with street radials. Got to have sticky tires even on the street. Drag radials is a must on the street for my Corvette.

You don't want to gear a car so that when you get to the track you can't 60' due to too tall gearing when set up right with stickys. Get the right gearing for the car even if you can't hold traction on the street on street radials.

Vette TPI 01-23-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2 (Post 3640)
Cars with any good amount of power will find 1st gear almost useless with street radials. Got to have sticky tires even on the street. Drag radials is a must on the street for my Corvette.

You don't want to gear a car so that when you get to the track you can't 60' due to too tall gearing when set up right with stickys. Get the right gearing for the car even if you can't hold traction on the street on street radials.

I agree, would the same still apply if I had a turbo set up?

Bolt-onC6 01-23-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette LM7 (Post 3677)
I agree, would the same still apply if I had a turbo set up?

Depends on whether you have an automatic or a manual tranny. Definitely need a low first gear with any manual car even with a turbo if nothing more than to save the clutch on those hard launches on sticky tires. Assuming we are talking street/strip cars, a multiple of about 12-14 (first gear x differential ratio) is a good number for a manual car. With an automatic car a low gear isn't nearly as critical if you have the correct converter stall rpm. You can run awfully good with even a first gear multiple of 10. With a properly sized converter you can actually go too low first gear and run same or slower than with taller gearing.

Vette TPI 01-23-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray2 (Post 3710)
Depends on whether you have an automatic or a manual tranny. Definitely need a low first gear with any manual car even with a turbo if nothing more than to save the clutch on those hard launches on sticky tires. Assuming we are talking street/strip cars, a multiple of about 12-14 (first gear x differential ratio) is a good number for a manual car. With an automatic car a low gear isn't nearly as critical if you have the correct converter stall rpm. You can run awfully good with even a first gear multiple of 10. With a properly sized converter you can actually go too low first gear and run same or slower than with taller gearing.

Okay, makes sense. Thank you!