Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Missing C7 Tow Hook (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349911)

C7Driver 03-28-2014 04:43 PM

Missing C7 Tow Hook

1 Attachment(s)
I'm pretty sure the tow hook for the C7 isn't included for US sales, just the exports. I know where it should be but the battery cover indent is empty. Is this correct? :thumbsup:

laborsmith 03-28-2014 05:04 PM

Seems to me tow hooks included in vehicles built for the non North American market are not on such cars intended for the North American market, probably because we in North America enjoy roads that are so well built and maintained that we would never need such.

Laborsmith

C7Driver 03-29-2014 01:28 AM

My 2010 Subaru Legacy has a tow hook included with the tire changing tools. Hope I never need to use it.

laborsmith 03-29-2014 09:10 AM

Interesting.

Laborsmith

WARP TEN 03-29-2014 10:55 AM

I know that all BMWs and MINIs come with tow hooks in the US. Judging by the shape of the indentation the picture, and using some logic, I would not be surprised if they would fit the threaded hole for the tow hook in the C7. I think the BMW/MINI is a 1/2 inch-18 thread but it may be metric. Maybe someone with both C7 and a BMW product could try and see. --Bob

Buzzardz_vette 03-29-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C7Driver (Post 7534103)
I'm pretty sure the tow hook for the C7 isn't included for US sales, just the exports. I know where it should be but the battery cover indent is empty. Is this correct? :thumbsup:

Yes, the hook is only for foreign sales and the cover is empty. I did see on one of the Forums that a vendor is making a tow hook for the C7. Guess it would fit in the space.

C7Driver 03-30-2014 12:28 AM

I'll blame this one on the GM bean counters once again. How much was really saved by deleting the tow hook on US models? Reminds me of the hood light kit that was dropped on the C6 Corvette in the 2007 model year. I had to buy the light kit as an accessory from my dealer. Oh, I also had to buy a new hood liner to allow the light kit to fit because they didn't have an opening in the liners for the light kit after 2007. I got some money back because I removed both items when I sold my C6 and sold them to a friend with a 2008 Corvette.

1FASTC7 04-26-2014 11:25 AM

Can this be ordered from gm?

steved06512 04-29-2014 10:06 PM

I was wondering what was supposed to go in that space. I thought I was missing some weird tire change tool!

goldbug 05-26-2014 03:34 PM

Bumping this for a little more info:

Moving some parts around the garage this weekend, I found the tow hook for my old R32 and was curious if it would fit the C7... but where?

Anyone know where the OEM hook is supposed to attach? I didn't see any obvious places through the front bumper/grille--but I did notice a circular section missing with a flat surface behind it. Maybe that's where the hook screws in on non-NA C7s? Might there be a spot in the back as well as the front?

purpleRac3r 05-26-2014 07:24 PM

I believe the tow hook goes on the rear. There's a small square panel on the driver side lower fascia several inches below the reflector that pops out. There's a threaded hole on the bumper bar behind it. I don't know of any factory provisions up front.

Hulkamaniac 05-26-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laborsmith (Post 7534143)
We in North America enjoy roads that are so well built and maintained that we would never need such.

Laborsmith

You're kidding, right?

sharptt 05-27-2014 05:09 AM

No tow hook? I painted mine in my Ford GT red and leave it mounted to enhance that race car look lol

goldbug 05-27-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleRac3r (Post 7695617)
I believe the tow hook goes on the rear. There's a small square panel on the driver side lower fascia several inches below the reflector that pops out. There's a threaded hole on the bumper bar behind it. I don't know of any factory provisions up front.

So yesterday I went and popped off the panel to check the hole, and all I saw was what looked like a flat (reinforcement?) plate, but no threaded hole. Oh well.