Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   T-Tops for Your New Camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294)

zeith 08-16-2006 10:01 AM

T-Tops for Your New Camaro?

Hey guys i am new to the forum (current owner of a 2005 350z, future owner of 2009 camaro) I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumor or info about the new camaro having t tops or a removable glass top? thanks in advance

69supersport 08-16-2006 04:26 PM

I have not heard or seen any news on this topic. It does seem like a valid question. I dont think they will have them for the 5 gen models, for the main reason that the 1st gen did not have them either, and the concept is modeled after or to closely resemble the 1st gen. Not that these are factual statements, just ones that seem most likely, after all the camaros that had the t tops were all bigger than the 5th gen concept. (at least i think so), oh yeah i had a 2000 camaro w t tops and they looked good on the 4th gen but i dont think they will look that good on the 5th gen

Bruno 08-17-2006 06:24 AM

Nobody knows for sure, only that the Camaro will come in "many different shapes and sizes" - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97

So Im guessing that means a convertible version at least.

Urthman 08-17-2006 07:29 AM

A convertible is rumored to be in the works, but I haven't seen/heard anything about T-Tops. I would absolutely buy one with some sort of removable hard top (T-Tops, retractable hard top, hell even a really big sunroof.)

TAG UR IT 08-17-2006 07:34 AM

Yeah...I seriously douby they do anything with it. However, if they built it w/ an optional removable glass or solid roof, I'd take that option in a heartbeat. T tops would be difficult to do on this new Camaro because the roofline is somewhat different than the old and flat roofline.

2001ragtop 08-17-2006 12:16 PM

it looks like the Camaro roof could support a nice and very large sunroof. That also might help keep the chassis stiffer than with T-tops. Just a thought

Twin Turbo 08-18-2006 03:09 PM

This car wouldn't suit T-Tops. I think you'll likely be offered just a coupe or a full convertible.

To be honest, I think I've probably taken the T-Tops off my 300zx about 5 times in 5 years - and that's not just because of our crappy English weather :D

T-Tops will reduce structural regidity (and add weight where they add bracing), they can leak and creak too. Decent climate control is the way forward!

TAG UR IT 08-19-2006 12:25 AM

Yes, t-tops do lessen rigidity and add weight. No, I don't take them off all that often (it's too darn hot here). In the fall/winter, I take them off all the time. If they could make this one w/ a sunroof, it would be nice, but also add more weight. Don't know if I'd go for it. NOW, if they made it with a removable hard top like the vettes, I'd go for it in a heartbeat!!!

Urthman 08-21-2006 07:37 AM

Yes! Removable hard top!

TAG UR IT 08-21-2006 08:59 AM

That couldn't be all that much more expensive to have to mass produce, would it? And w/ the general public paying $500-800 for the option, it really wouldn't be all that bad. Like I said, I'd go for that in a heartbeat!!!

KILLER74Z28 08-21-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT
That couldn't be all that much more expensive to have to mass produce, would it? And w/ the general public paying $500-800 for the option, it really wouldn't be all that bad. Like I said, I'd go for that in a heartbeat!!!

Try like $1500 to $2500, the hard top on the T-Bird was a $2500 option. It's not going to be cheep! On top of that leaks, squeak, and rattles is what you going to deal with... I doubt it is going to be an option. Although, never say never.

2001ragtop 08-21-2006 01:59 PM

why would someone ask for a remake of a classic 1969 camaro then ask to have T tops installed onto it.

then write the word "Bandit" on the door right

TAG UR IT 08-22-2006 01:57 AM

Never said I wanted a remake of a classic. I only said I wanted something similar w/ todays technology. As far as the t-tops go...yeah, I'm off a bit. If I recall correctly, I paid $800 for the 02 option ($895 if going by MSRP). I doubt they would make it an option as well. I'm just doing some wishful thinking w/ a removable hardtop. I don't think t-tops would work w/ that roofline. And...I hated the leaks. I had my seals changed on my t-tops about 3 or 4 times on my last Z28. I hear GM had a few problems w/ the removable roof on the Vette. Who knows...maybe they could make it work. I doubt they do either, but it would be nice.

Aliendude 08-22-2006 05:14 PM

How about large sunroof!

Hey guys,

I would go for a large sunroof the T-tops are great but can be a pain. I had them stolen once and it cost me $500 for both from this guy on ebay he wanted $300ea. Anyways, my wife’s miniVan has a great sunroof it’s freaken huge!

The convertible looks hot, especially here in cali but i'm willing to check out a 09 Z28 with a large sunroof like the mitsubishi montero or maybe even the G6. Still I see this new camaro as a permanent part of my family .......... the kids can have it only after I die! :eek:

Aliendude