Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Transmissions...? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811)

Scotsman 02-18-2007 11:43 PM

A dual clutch tranny would be ultra slick.

Mr. Wyndham 02-19-2007 10:28 AM

I'll be honest, I have never driven in a Manual, so I do feel deprived.
I have no idea what I really want.
I think that I have to test drive a manual to see what it's like.
I mean I've read into it and I know the mechanics of it, but...as far as the experience goes, I just don't know

TAG UR IT 04-01-2007 11:48 PM

Transmissions...?

I want a 6spd short throw shifter...same as what I have now.

Zyreal 04-02-2007 04:08 PM

Personally I want a paddle shifter. The thing is, I've never heard any downsides to paddle shifting, and AFAIK paddle shifting performs better than a stick in all instances.

So why would anyone want a stick?

bprange 04-02-2007 04:59 PM

There is almost no better way to be connected to your car than through a 6 speed short throw and and third petal, I my humble opinion....

SoFlaZ 04-02-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bprange (Post 9462)
There is almost no better way to be connected to your car than through a 6 speed short throw and and third petal, I my humble opinion....

:clap: I couldnt have said it any better myself. I dont have any problem with auto's but if the paddle shift is like any tiprtonic,autostick,etc. i've ever driven, there is always a delay in shifting and feels kinda sloppy in my opinion. But if there are some auto double clutch system with the paddle shifters, like in the Maserati's, i would have it in a second.

Mr. Wyndham 04-02-2007 07:38 PM

Which transy would last longer? Auto/paddle shift or Manual short throw
I mean in terms of durability and longevity(not counting the clutch)

EllwynX 04-02-2007 07:50 PM

I voted Paddle Shift since I'd be interested in trying it out.

Otherwise I'll have a plain old automatic. No amount of talking will ever convince me manual is anything other than an aggravation.

Zyreal 04-02-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 9465)
Which transy would last longer? Auto/paddle shift or Manual short throw
I mean in terms of durability and longevity(not counting the clutch)

Paddle shift. It's SO much harder to wear out a paddle clutch. And yeah, some of the half rate semi-auto trannys have had a huge delay(*Cough* Charger *Cough*)

But I don't think GM would drop the ball like that. And besides, paddle shifting is much more effective than auto or manual. It's like the best of both worlds.

So I guess the only real downside is not having a bare connection to the car for some people.

The thing for me is, having driven a Vanquish with paddle shifting, I would never go back. You still have to be connected in a sense, even more so to me since you can keep both on the wheel, especially when shifting is needed(around corners and such, merging)

The difference it makes is so great, makes any kind of commute a breeze, where as most people in rush hour with sticks want to blow their brains out.

- Z

P.S. Mmmmmm....AWD, paddle shifting, Top Dog, black on black on black.

Casull 04-02-2007 09:30 PM

I am in with the manual crowd. I don't know, there is just something about having your right hand on a shifter and your left foot on the clutch.

Mr. Wyndham 04-03-2007 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyreal (Post 9472)
Paddle shift. It's SO much harder to wear out a paddle clutch. And yeah, some of the half rate semi-auto trannys have had a huge delay(*Cough* Charger *Cough*)

Paddle Clutch?

Bart 04-03-2007 11:32 AM

i've also been a manual transmission guy, but I've heard from a lot of "converts" to the paddle shifters. I'm going to be keeping my 6 speed TA, so I'll definitely test drive a paddle shift Camaro if its available. But if the only options are stick vs a standard automatic, I'll take the stick.

rray200 04-03-2007 11:47 AM

The paddle shift is an interesting and cool idea. But wouldn't it seem strange to drive a muscle car with that heavy, throaty exhaust note with a paddle shifter? Paddle shifters are what I relate to cars like Ferraris, Porsches, Audis, the euro cars basically. The Corvette and Viper don't have them and neither does the Mustang. It would be quite revolutionary to put a paddle shift in a Detroit muscle car. How would the Camaro purists react to this option?

Kenz Camaro 04-03-2007 02:11 PM

Paddle shift

"The paddle shift is an interesting and cool idea. But wouldn't it seem strange to drive a muscle car with that heavy, throaty exhaust note with a paddle shifter? Paddle shifters are what I relate to cars like Ferraris, Porsches, Audis, the euro cars basically. The Corvette and Viper don't have them and neither does the Mustang. It would be quite revolutionary to put a paddle shift in a Detroit muscle car. How would the Camaro purists react to this option?"

Sorry but, Paddle shift IS an option on the Corvette.

Hummmmm, Hugger Orange/Gunmetal Gray stripes, hard-top vert, 450+hp, paddle-shift 6-speed auto, Z-28, with ALL the bells and whistles.....
:thumbsup: