Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Is The Best High Torque Mini Starter??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491601)

xc_SS/RS 04-19-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 9680608)
Starter selection has nothing to do with thermal management.

This x infinity. You probably have a bad power/ground connection somewhere under your hood, so I would start there. I replaced a starter because I thought it went bad and was getting heat soaked. Even put heat reflective tape on the starter, starter heat shield, and the wires running to the starter. Turned out to be a ground wire that wasn't grounded properly.

Now the only time I have harder starts than normal is when I get gas... those you can attribute to heat soak.

Don't waste your money on a high torque starter. Stock OEM piece is fine, check your grounds.

CamaroFred 04-19-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless Man (Post 9681439)
My wrapped my starter in heat blanket and it didn't do nothing. But it was after it started showing symptoms

Would you please remove my image from your signature, cowboy?

Homeless Man 04-22-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS (Post 9682025)
This x infinity. You probably have a bad power/ground connection somewhere under your hood, so I would start there. I replaced a starter because I thought it went bad and was getting heat soaked. Even put heat reflective tape on the starter, starter heat shield, and the wires running to the starter. Turned out to be a ground wire that wasn't grounded properly.

Now the only time I have harder starts than normal is when I get gas... those you can attribute to heat soak.

Don't waste your money on a high torque starter. Stock OEM piece is fine, check your grounds.

Don't listen to this. I made a similar thread and people also told me don't waste money on a high torque starter (which aren't even expensive) and got OEM and it burnt out after a few weeks. How are u saying it's not heat soak when in your post you put the exact same senario (stopping at gas station) and say it's heat soak?

xc_SS/RS 04-22-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless Man (Post 9688129)
Don't listen to this. I made a similar thread and people also told me don't waste money on a high torque starter (which aren't even expensive) and got OEM and it burnt out after a few weeks. How are u saying it's not heat soak when in your post you put the exact same senario (stopping at gas station) and say it's heat soak?

Because that's actually from heat soak. It's not like it struggles to start after I get gas, but it does not spin as quick as it does when it's cold. Of course, if I had not found the ground wire (that I misplaced as well) it probably would have barely turned over. So why not go check your grounds instead of shelling out a couple hundo on some starter you will just ruin because of shitty electrical connections?

It's your money, do with it as you please...

CamaroNoob 04-23-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS (Post 9688203)
Because that's actually from heat soak. It's not like it struggles to start after I get gas, but it does not spin as quick as it does when it's cold. Of course, if I had not found the ground wire (that I misplaced as well) it probably would have barely turned over. So why not go check your grounds instead of shelling out a couple hundo on some starter you will just ruin because of shitty electrical connections?

It's your money, do with it as you please...

How do I check my grounds is there a picture that shows the location? Also what exactly is it that I'm checking for?? Sorry but I am not very advanced in modifying cars and such!

theflea42 04-23-2017 11:14 AM

Check all your grounds and put heat shielding around your starter and you should be good to go with the stock unit.

Your original question was looking for opinions on what the best high torque starter is. I've got a 79 chevy k10 truck with a 383 stroker in it. I've got a powermaster master torque starter on it. combined with a good battery and the correct timing, that starter works 10 times better than the stock unit.

xc_SS/RS 04-24-2017 09:41 AM

There is a large ground wire on the drivers side head, right behind the PS reservoir and there is another large one on the passengers side head that is towards the front as well. There is a block of smaller ground wires on the passenger side head that is near the dipstick tube bolt as well. I messed with the large passenger side ground when I went to install my catch can for the first time. Did not realize what I moved until about a year or more when I was messing with the starter lol

Edit: another thing to check out is how clean the power wire connection is that attaches at the starter. Mine was very corroded which will also contribute to slow starting

IDEALG 01-26-2023 07:03 AM

I'm just going to add to this thread in case someone stumbles upon it while having problems. The ground wire in the trunk that goes from the battery to the trunk floor is the biggest problem. It's a terrible connection, you need to remove the bolt holding it to the trunk floor and clean or grind the mating surface.

InFiD3ViL 01-26-2023 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDEALG (Post 11276406)
I'm just going to add to this thread in case someone stumbles upon it while having problems. The ground wire in the trunk that goes from the battery to the trunk floor is the biggest problem. It's a terrible connection, you need to remove the bolt holding it to the trunk floor and clean or grind the mating surface.

100% correct. This is what had caused months of slow crank and other electrical gremlins to my car. My bolt wound up cross threading and eventually snapping off, requiring me to drill it out and replace with a larger bolt. I then added a new 2 gauge ground, in addition to the original battery ground to this location and now have perfect strong starts.

To add to this very old thread, I am also running the Powermaster XS Torque 9509 starter. The thing is a beast

John_C 07-18-2023 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL (Post 11276526)
100% correct. This is what had caused months of slow crank and other electrical gremlins to my car. My bolt wound up cross threading and eventually snapping off, requiring me to drill it out and replace with a larger bolt. I then added a new 2 gauge ground, in addition to the original battery ground to this location and now have perfect strong starts.

To add to this very old thread, I am also running the Powermaster XS Torque 9509 starter. The thing is a beast

Got a start up video of yours?

I'm going to order that bad boy and do it with my new ground cables!